Thursday, August 8, 2013

Menswear as womenswear - My story continued




Pairing a t-shirt with this suit is a rare occurrence. I would normally wear this outfit with a shirt of some sort -  I'm so put off with the state of t-shirts these days I've almost stopped buying them.  Although I am thinking of giving Everlane a try.  Also want to try their silk shirts.  I also don't wear these shoes too often - slip-ons don't work for me (narrow heel issues).  I really need a strap over my foot (hence the Campers) or, better yet, tie-ups of some sort.

What is so common in menswear is the only slight distinction between seasonal suit wear.  Yes, the fabric may be lighter in the warmer months (but may still contain some wool) but often the colours remain consistent, so they (meaning men) don't have to do the wholesale change we women have been conditioned to endure.  Take this suit as one example, it is a summer suit (no wool), lightweight, soft, yet dark.  I will wear it well into the fall and even in winter.  How practical is that?

It is not my intention to take all the fun out of dressing but really, for the stalwart pieces of one's wardrobe, we should have a few truly seasonless items.  And if that were the case, and if you were the sort of person who kept to a strict (and small) clothing budget, this direction would make infinite sense.  You really could justify spending more on fewer things and really get your money's worth. Of course, in my case, would that stop me from hitting the thrift shops or boys clothing department?  Hardly. 
 
 


 
 
 
 
Yes, I would much prefer this ensemble with a shirt (silk) and some menswear footwear, say like these
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ok.  One more to go inspired by a menswear master ensemble.


6 comments:

  1. It's a nice looking suit on you. Don't get me started about quality and durability of men's clothing vs. women's. We'd be here all day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this option, a masculine inspired outfit with the green jersey. One way to combine the formality of our costumes with informality. I always thought that I men's clothing looks good on you, you play with skill to oversize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Une femme: And I'd be right with you! It brings out the strident feminist in me which my friends in their '20s tell me is totally uncool.

    Josep-Maria: Thank you for the vote of confidence. It is true that there is much fun to be had in switching up formality with informality. Not to mention comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have the tiniest frame. I would be in tall and husky if I were in the boy's department. And no, I am not overweight. :))
    Dark navy paired with Kelly green is so pretty. Why my mother always told me not to wear green and blue together, I will never know. Took me years to get over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying this series! I'd have a tougher time going this route, given my size and shape, but some kind of equivalent of a workable, stylish uniform that doesn't simultaneously assess our "sexiness" quotient by declaring our failure to fit instantly . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cornelia: I do have a pretty small frame, hence the boy's dept. Where I'd really like to be is in the men's dept. I think Cate Blanchett is tall and is wearing men's suits. I would kill to be bigger all round. As for the colour combo, funny how those early warnings stay with you. I was told never to wear pink and red together - now it does depend on the tone - but I love them as a pair and you see it all over now. There were so many rules when we were kids - it's so liberating now.

    Mater: I hear you. It might not be for everyone and I think the underlying point is around uniforms. Men have a uniform that works to their universal advantage we don't. Each woman has to figure it out for herself - another distraction. I'm envious that the mens' culture affords them such a reliable, practical (financially above all), respected and generally flattering solution.

    ReplyDelete