Saturday, August 17, 2013

Menswear: It's in the details

 
 
This is a rather unsatisfactory attempt at replicating the masterful mixing from the shot below (from Agnelli-esque for those interested in keeping tabs on menswear) - what can I say, I work with what I've got.  The beauty here is the summer brown with the red stripes and a hint of navy.  The look sings summer without dropping nary a thread to casual wear.  Thinking this business through, I've concluded that the essential difference between menswear and womenswear is that in menswear the repertoire is narrow so expression (and style) is found in playing within a limited palette.  Limited but not boring - and that's the key.  Womenswear, on the other hand, has such a wide and varied repertoire that we get lost in the choices and are challenged to focus on the finer details of style.  There's just so much to contend with.  
 
 
 
 
 

 
 Some say the ultimate solution is the dress:  no mixing and matching, throw the thing on, grab some shoes, a whack of jewelry and you're good to go.  Others go crazy, one day it's a dress, then a skirt and top with maybe a sweater or jacket, then it's pants (wide leg, capri, skinny, skimmer, lowrise, midrise - I'm reeling), in the summer add shorts, a jersey dress, a maxi dress.  Then the shoes:  ballet flats to the office, then heels, or sandals - then heels, the something you can actually walk in like Birkenstocks, then running shoes, espadrilles.  See where I'm going with this ... it's exhausting.  When you think about all the other stuff we have to navigate, is this some colossal conspiracy to keep us from ruling the world?   Do I get my hair  blown out for that presentation tomorrow - or should I just focus on the presentation?  Hmmm.

 
 
 
 
 


Enough ranting.  What I like about the combo more than anything is playing with brown.  I love brown but it's hard to make it work in summer unless it's in solid linen. I like the cleverness of this combo and because it allows me to wear my brown Campers in the summer.  Any outfit that facilitates foot comfort is good by me.


Well, I think I've gone on long enough on this subject.  I'll give you all a rest - at least for a while. 

Next up, more on the lovely Fiona sent to me from a regular reader who has her finger on the pulse of  The Guardian's style files.

11 comments:

  1. I really like this -- classic style, wittily done, but not distracting. It really lets YOU shine through (loving the grey hair, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mater: It's also super comfortable which always makes me happy. I'm glad you like the grey - it is certainly coming in fast and furious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Details - yes. And the balance between masculine and feminine. It needs the elegant hairstyle, the pretty shoes, the earrings to make it work. Perfectly judged !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely & your grey hair is fab (without the blow out) - and I'm with you on the comfy shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another good combination, gray jacket and dark trousers, typically male combination, with the striped shirt to break the monotony of all, a great idea. The jacket I love it, I would put myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really well done! I think the clothing fits you well, and the red/white stripe is a wonderfully playful touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great menswear-inspired combinations. One of my most favorite outfits is actually my grandad's black dinner jacket and trousers. As you say, when I wear the jacket/trousers combination, i don't get lost in the choice. It's so simple, but elegant. You look great in this combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As others have said before: this is really well done. Smart indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great combination capping a thoughtful discussion of an overlooked option. You wear it well and the hair is lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where are you???? I´m missing your posts!!!! Please, come back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My apologies for the terrible gap in posts. I'll get back to work soon! Thanks so much for missing my news!

    ReplyDelete